In coursework

I used community service hours to fufill my ethics requirement. Over the summer I paint murals with a group of volunteers from Lawrence. I design the mural, grid the design, and then the volunteers help me paint. Each mural has had an intergenerational theme since they're displayed at the Lawrence Senior Center. Other service projects that run through the Merrimack Valley Community Service Corps include Brown Bag Lunches for the Lawrence Senior Center, Groundworks community Garden, and hospital volunteer work at Lawrence General. This experience taught me leadership skills with a group of 20 teenagers and responsibility for the community. 

Many of my art courses have involved some sort of conversation about ethics. My friend's Senior Studio involves research of climate change. She researches the procurement of oil paints and other materials and what effects they have on the environment. Another student is doing her project on the mass production of eggs and chickens. When critiquing these students, a class must consider how to express these concepts through visual language.

I've researched other artist's work as part of my studio courses and my senior studio. William Kentridge's animations are about the apartheid in South Africa, racisim, and his Jewish heritage. Jan Svankmajer's stop motions address massive consumption and classism promoted through capitalism.

Other conversations about ethics have happened in my Nutrition and Health course when we watched the documentary Food Inc. This film addresses Monsanto's first patten on life, how industrialism transformed food into a mass produced commodity, and the unethical treatment of plants, animals, the environment, and farmer's livelihood.

Abnormal Psychology asked for a presentation and paper about domestic abuse. During my presentation of the paper, I was asked to explain solutions and resources to help prevent and stop abuse.

Introduction to Gerontology had conversations about the representation of the elderly in the media and the treatment of the elderly in nursing homes and hospitals.