In coursework

Most of my classes outside of studio work require some form of writing. Some of my general education requirements ask for factual and scientific writing, whereas others ask for more critical thinking. Abnormal psychology, a general education requirement, started with writing definitions and then later asked students to apply their knowledge to diagnose fictional characters. My Health and Nutrition course asked me for lab write ups, which require a different tone of voice than my art research papers, which ask to analyze the meaning of an artwork and voice my own opinion.

Most of my classes have asked for Chicago Style. When I took an Intro to Gerontology class I had to use APA format for one research paper. I'm not sure if other forms of citation are relevant to my major. I agree using other courses other than college writing to fufill this requirement. I think that changing this requirement will help force other courses related to my major to focus more on writing for my area of interest. I wish that my teachers had encouraged peer editing, drafts of papers, and offered more corrections on my papers. I've mostly had a few comments on turn-it-in and feel many of my courses were more concerned with content rather than grammar. I found that during my time here, the databases available through the library were very helpful. I also used the writing center a couple of times for corrections.

Fine arts majors regularly practice oral communication. Artists typically have a critique once every two weeks. Students present their work in the gallery or the critique space in front of the class and their professor. Students have to explain and defend their work while their peers give feedback.  Each critique typically lasts 20 minutes.

For my Senior Studio, I have to present my final work in front of the fine arts faculty. Students are also welcome to come and typically watch presentations. During my midterm critique I had five professors comment on my work, as well as my fellow peers taking the course. For my final I have to set up my work in the Mahoney Gallery and continue to present in front of faculty, students, and a visiting artist. 

I feel that I am more comfortable talking in front of a group of people after practicing so frequently. I have close relationships with my peers and professors. Understanding that my audience are people like me makes it easier to speak to them without feeling awkward or nervous. Students are encouraged to challenge ideas and offer constructive feedback. Many of my ideas come from conversations with other students in the studio spaces. Within the art department, I'm pretty sure I'm well known for the amount of sass I give. While this my discouraged in many other departments, my sense of humor has allowed me to grow more confident in saying what I think is necessary.