In coursework

One of my most rewarding experiences in studio at UMass Lowell was completeing my Art on the Marquee Project. The Art on the Marquee is a call for art from local artists in the Massachusetts area. Selected videos, films, and animations are presented on an 80 foot tall venue in front of the Boston Convention Center. I entered through a student competition as an assignment for a video installation course.

First I completed 2 proposals, one was chosen for viewing. The proposal consisted of writing explaining the purpose and content of my artwork, a diagram of the Marquee's screens, a few video samples of what the work would look like, and a small artist bio. I also had to consider my audience since a comittee selects the artworks, which are then shown in a very public environment. Something too controversal or mature would most likely be rejected.

Once I was awarded a spot, I spent most of the term working on my animation. I created a mixed media project about the Boston Quabin Reservoir called Sunken Cities. I used hand drawn stop motion and a program called aftereffects to compile and format my videos to the Marquee. Finally I submitted the work and had a first viewing at the Boston Convention Center.

This project required prior experience in creating video and animation. A term before this project, I had a stop motion directed study. Stop motion is a type of animation composed of photographs IE Wallace and Gromit, Coraline, Nightmare Before Christmas... I made a short 2 minute film using minature sets. My teacher taught me lighting techinques, how to use a camera, and gave me films and artists, such as the Brother's Quay, William Kentridge and Jan Svankmajer, to study and learn from. Since it was my second attempt at stop motion, I learned more about timing and precision through photographs. Since I was the only one taking the class, I composed my own assignments and lead most questions in discussions during my meetings with my teacher. I enjoyed this experience because I chose what I wanted to learn and my teacher offered me her knowledge to improve my developing skills.

Recently, Lowell allowed the advanced sculptors to purpose a public art piece for a pending project in front of the Tsongas Center. Although I didn't work on this project, I watched my friend go through the process of applying. Their professor broke his class into 3 groups. Each group had to create a model and write a proposal for a memorial for Nelson Mendela. When creating the project, students had to take into account their peers' opinions, the space assigned, and the comittee who would critique their work. When finished, each group presented their work to the patrons funding the project, and one work was selected as inspiration for the final project. Watching this process unfold was interesting to me and it also provided a great opportunity for students to participate in Lowell's recent constructions.