Outcome reflection

Overall I feel that my major has thoroughly fulfilled the Diversity and Cultural Awareness requirement. Art is unique in that its a visual language that expresses a person's perspective. Most artists have to study different artworks from different cultures in order to keep their word relevant, interesting, and diverse. I attend most of the artist talks provided by the school, including Lalla Essadi's recent photography show about her identity as a Moroccan- American artist, Raul Gonzalez III and Elaine Bay's, a Hispanic couple who makes comic book drawings inspired by Mexican art. I also attended Gonzalez' drawing workshop and spoke with him about his work personally.

Many of my art history courses have assigned papers about identity and culture, which helped me understand diversity on an academic level. I've attended shows in preparation for these papers at the Peabody Essex Museum for its Japanese prints, Phillips Andover Addison to see Lorna Wilson, Boston ICA to see South African artist William Kentridge, Gardner Museum, the Boston Museum of Fine Art to study ancient art from other cultures, the Harvard Fogg, and the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art. 

Some of my most important experiences in Diversity and Cultural Awareness involved interacting with people of other cultures, such as in my going abroad and volunteering over the summer. It would be helpful if teachers or the curriculum tried to include lessons outside of the classroom so students can understand Diversity and Cultural Awareness on both and intellectual and experiential level.