In History courses:

I have not had a course where there has not been an emphasis on critical thinking and problem solving.

In other courses:

Problem solving in political science: Applying knowledge of the way international organizations are run and using it to implement policies during humanitarian crises and conflicts. Considering the international actors and the differences in their various forms of government. How can cooperation be increased? Looking at problems from different perspectives and different angles. Working in  a groups to create our own organization. Getting the opinions of others can be beneficial sometimes in this regard.

Politics of International Organizations: We were tasked to use our knowledge of the inner workings of international/inter-governmental organizations to design our own organization- This fits into problem solving because there are so many potential problems and things to consider for nations to be able to fully collaborate and cooperate. There was a lot of trial and error with this project, so much so that I got discouraged. I felt like what I proposed for my own organization, which focused on human rights and humanitarianism, was far too idealistic and would not actually work in a real organization. My teacher stressed to me that the concepts we learn about in class dealing with international relations are very theoretical and often vague. He said that the exercise shows just how difficult it is in reality for states to form an international organization, keeping in mind things like domestic politics, costs/benefits, soverienty, and laws, just to name a few. Struggling with this helped me iron out the kinks for my project and forced me to learn and understand more about the politics of international organizations.

Comparative Politics: Forming a hypothesis on causal relations. Does X influence Y? Why? Read about case-studies in our textbooks comparing things like gun-related homicide between countries. One such case dealt with discerning why exactly two very similar nations, The United States and Canada differed in this regard. Factors influences it were of course the rates of gun-ownership in both countries, but also much more obsure qualitative studies of what is referred to as the "culture of fear" in the US.