Quantitative Reasoning: This was a required class to fulfill my degree's Gen Ed's, and was the only math class I have taken at UMass Lowell. I am sure that for many students this course was a repeat of high school math, but for me it was very challenging. I do not have any of the assignments or tests to add to the examples of my work, because everything was online through the textbook/MathLab website. One thing I will say though, is that I really appreciated the assignments being online. For the homework assignments you are allowed as many tries as it takes to get a question right, and it gives you the option to walk you step by step through the equations. This truly did make a huge difference in how the semester went for me, I benefited a great deal from the trial and error the online work provided. I also had a great professor that graded our midterms and finals very fairly. Because many of the questions on tests were multi-step equations, he didn't penalize for minor errors and would allow for partial credit.

In history courses: Using numbers/ statistics/ graphs to understand:

population, any type of demographics, census, patterns of migration, immigration, mortality rates, genocides, battles, and so on.

Examples:

• Looking at the rates of Irish immigrants that came to America, or Boston in particular during the potato famine.
  • Analyzing the economic sanctions imposed on Germany in the Treaty of Versailles, and comparing the numbers (money, weapons, troops, etc.) from before WWI, after Versailles, and of course leading up to and for the duration of WWII.
  • Statistics showing the numbers of different people exterminated or sent to work/concentration camps during the Holocaust, which ethnicity/religion they belonged to, where geographically they came from.
  • Comparing numbers in the Civil War battles: Soldiers, troops, casualties. Wins/losses

US History since 1960: As part of the final assignment, we were asked to read an article written about the disparity in the housing market between white people and black people in America. Some of the many statistics presented in the article showed evidence of the income-gap and rates of home ownership and mortgages from the 1930's up until today.

I have included an assignment from Politics of International Organizations in here as well, because in researching the World Health Organization, I came across a great deal of statistics, on the level of cooperation between the organiation's member states, and also in assessing the organization's effectiveness in respect to disease control, healthcare, mortality rates, and many other areas.