Writing Samples

“Who wants to become a writer? And why? Because it’s the answer to everything. … It’s the streaming reason for living. To note, to pin down, to build up, to create, to be astonished at nothing, to cherish the oddities, to let nothing go down the drain, to make something, to make a great flower out of life, even if it’s a cactus.”
—Enid Bagnold

As a student, I worked at UMass Lowell's Offices of University Relations and University Advancement for three years and also served as a writer and editor for the unversity's student newspaper, the Connector. In addition, I interned at Heinemann Publishing for five months and Philips Healthcare for one summer. Through these experiences, I had the opportunity to cover some exciting developments on campus as well as celebrations and events.

You will find samples of my writing below. I have included work I did for a technical writing course, as well as my writing for the university and the newspaper.

I had the opportunity to interview Bill Nye "the Science Guy," UMass Lowell's 2014 Commencement speaker about his thoughts on the success of his television show and his message for college students.

Click on the picture for the full article.

Connector Articles

UMass Lowell's chancellor holds at least one open forum with students a semester. He discussed some very important happenings on campus at this forum, such as the future of the campus, and he addressed students' concerns such as transportation and dining hall food quality.

The Student Government Association ran a campaign to make UMass Lowell a tobacco-free campus.

Downtown Lowell has a wonderful variety of cultural, ethnic, retail and dining experiences. Unfortunately, UMass Lowell students are not very familiar with what the city has to offer. A student approached me about writing about his work with downtown businesses and his hope to close the gap.

Click on picture for full article.

Feature Stories for University Advancement

I have written a number of articles for the Office of University Advancement.

When John Davis, associate vice chancellor for Principal Gifts was recognized by CASE (the Council for Advancement and Support of Education), I wrote a story that was featured on the UMass Lowell website.

Click picture for full article.

Every year, UMass Lowell recognizes and honors an alum from each of its school and colleges. I wrote a post-story about the 2013 award ceremony as well as the awardees.

Technical Writing Project

As part of a class project, two of my fellow classmates and I revamped Girls Inc. of Greater Lowell's intake packets.  Girls Inc. is a nonprofit organization that offers after-school programming for young girls.  In addition to revamping the intake packet, they also wanted us to create a programming goals page from scratch.

By working on this project, I gained experience working with a client as well as team members. We learned how to produce quality work under pressure as well as the editing process of technical writers.

Here are the original membership and health documents.  

Here are the documents my team members and I created for Girls Inc.

Membership Form

Health Form

Programming Goals Page